Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cake Keepers wrap up

I realize that I haven't played nice and posted every month like I was supposed to. That doesn't mean I didn't bake most of the cakes, though. Cakes my family enjoyed were the Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake and the Lime Chiffon Cake.

The Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake is similar to a family favorite, cold oven pound cake recipe without the cream cheese. All agreed that this was a delicious cake. It was also easy compared to the Lime Chiffon.

Lime Chiffon Cake, though much more time consuming than other cakes we baked, was probably my favorite cake of all. The texture was light, but not so light as to be confused with an angel food cake. I served this cake with grilled pineapple slices and lightly sweetened whipped cream.

A couple of cakes we baked were not enjoyed by my family, namely the Zebra Cake and the Cinnamon Pudding Cake. The former was very dry and the latter stuck to the pan!

I made several cakes from this book that we didn't choose. The Chipotle-Chocolate Cake, Apple and Cheddar Cheese Cake and the Cocoa-Chip Angel Food Cake were the best of the bunch and better than some of the ones we chose. The Chocolate-Caramel-Banana Upside-Down Cake wasn't as good as I expected. I can't remember if we baked the Cranberry Cake or the Spiced Orange and Cranberry Snacking Cake as I made both the loved them.

I'd love to know if anyone baked the Nutella Swirl Pound Cake. It's on my to do list since my teen aged son loves Nutella! I'm looking forward to our new cookbook (which I am rushing out to purchase today) and promise to be better about posting!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made anything from the book except the ones chosen by the group but I will start to do free rein baking now we are finished with it. I'm glad to hear the apple and cheddar one is good as that is one of the ones that really tempts me.
    Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice round up Jill - I'm looking forward to having a good look through the book now we are no longer constrained!!

    ReplyDelete