Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Boston Cream Pie

Better late than never! February got away from me before I even had a chance to think about baking this cake. I finally had some time yesterday and decided to go ahead and try this recipe. I was not disappointed, though my family didn't like it nearly as much as I did.

I tried a new cake flour- King Arthur unbleached cake flour. My cake was a little dry and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go back to using Silk cake flour. I was attempting to be a little healthier (ha!). I also think my oven needs calibrating since I left the cake in for the least amount of time and it seemed slightly overdone.

The custard was delicious. I could've just eaten that and been satisfied. The texture was creamy and rich but not overpoweringly "eggy" as some custards can be. I didn't have the problems that others experienced with the custard "setting up".

Overall, this was one of the most satisfying cakes I've made with this group. I'm really looking forward to making the March cake. Bon Appetit y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill! I was just checking out on you! I haven't heard from you for a while now and it seems your readers haven't either! I know blogging is hard at times...life gets busy and it's hard to keep up with everything... My blog has had those seasons as well! But don't give up! I hope everything is ok with you! I am now working in the administration of The Cake Slice Bakers Group and I thought I'd stop by to let you know you're missed... We're working in a new book and voting on our December Cake... it'd be nice to hear from you and know how you're doing... Let me know if I can help you with anything! love.for.coffee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also from Western NC. I live in Spindale in Rutherford County. I was trying to explain Boston Cream Pie to my husband about the same time as you wrote this. I was born in New England so this cake is very famiar to me. He was born in Illinois near St. Louis and hand never heard of it. I find regional cusinine very interesting. I have always wondered why as people relocate they only carry forward a few things from the past and quickly adopt new foods. Hi from Jill in Spindale am glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete