Monday, December 27, 2010

Banana Pudding, Southern style

Since we are snowed in here in Asheville, NC, I have been doing a lot of cooking. I also have lots of time on my hands because we can hardly get out of our driveway! Last night, I made my husband (and my daddy's) favorite dessert: Banana Pudding. I remember my daddy's mother making it and watching her slowly stir the pudding on the stove. How that combination of vanilla pudding, bananas and "Nilla" wafers combine to make such a heavenly taste is magical. I've made this recipe dozens of times and it really is best served warm, about 15 minutes out of the oven. However, my son often eats it for breakfast the next day IF there is any leftover. Banana pudding is often deemed a plebian dessert but there's no better comfort dessert anywhere!

Banana Pudding
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup all purpose flour
dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk (I always use fat free as this is all I buy but grandma used whole which is much richer)
1 t. vanilla extract
1 T butter
45 vanilla wafers, divided
5 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups), sliced

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in a heavy pot on the stove (you can use a double boiler if you like). Add egg yolks and milk. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is of pudding consistency (about 8-10 minutes). Off heat, add vanilla and butter.

Spread small amount of custard in the bottom of a 1 1/2 qt. casserole; cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of the custard over the bananas. Continue to layer in that order, making a total three layers of each and ending with custard.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually adding remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of custard, making sure to seal edges.
Bake at 350 until browned, about 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment