Monday, December 27, 2010

Quick Thai Green Curry

This is one of my "go-t0" meals that my family begs for at least weekly, although I don't make it that often. I love thai green curry and spent inordinate amounts of time eating it at Basil in Charleston, SC. Since moving to Asheville, NC, the best thai curry I've ever eaten is served at a litte restaurant inside an Exxon station - Little Bee Thai.

I discovered this recipe quite by accident several years ago while trolling the internet for a "Basil" taste alike. I always add the higher amount of curry but your can adapt to your taste buds. I also add a vegetable to stretch the dish and have used eggplant, snow peas and broccoli. Again, your preference. Serve over steamed jasmine rice.

As for the meat, the original recipe calls for chicken (which I bake in the oven, along with whatever vegetable is added to the dish) but I have also used shrimp. I suppose one could use tofu and vegetable broth to make this a vegetartian meal. The recipe is extremely adaptable. Let me know what YOU do to make it your own!

1 T. vegetable oil
2 minced shallots (I've used onions when I didn't have shallots)
1-inch piece gingerroot, minced
1-2 T. green curry paste (usually found on the Asian aisle in most grocery stores)
1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth (or use your own stock if you have it)
1 can coconut milk (NOT coco-lopez) - you can use lite coconut milk to save calories
1 can sliced, drained bamboo shoots
1/4 t. salt
2 c. sliced cooked chicken, beef, pork, tofu or shrimp
1 c. vegetable of your choice.

Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over med. high heat; add shallots and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat heat to medium; stir in curry paste. Stir in chicken broth; cook until broth is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in chicken, vegetable, coconut milk, bamboo shoots and salt. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer five minutes. Sitr in fresh basil before serving if desired.
Serve in bowls over steamed jasmine rice with lime wedges on the side if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment