Monday, December 27, 2010

The Cake Slice Bakers - Cranberry Cake

Finally, a recipe from this cookbook that was outstanding! The tanginess of the cranberry was offset perfectly by the sweet streusel-like topping. We devoured this cake so quicky I never had time to take any pictures. Below is the recipe:


1 cup sliced almonds
2 T. melted butter
2 T. packed light brown sugar
2 c. all purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. sale
3 large eggs
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sitcks) butter, melted and cooled
1 t. vanilla extract
1 bag (12 oz) fresh cranberries

Make the Streusel:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 10-inch springform pan.
Combine almonds, butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl . Work the mixture between your fingers to form large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Make the Cake
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
Combine eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and increased in volume, about 5 minuntes. With mixer on low, add the butter in a slow stream. Increase speed and mix on medium for another two minutes.
Fold in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in cranberries.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and top with streusel. Bake until golden, about 1 hour. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Unmold from pan and cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I just realized that I didn't come and check out your cake - sorry! This cake has been one of my favorites and we quickly finished it too. I am so glad that I still have a few bags of frozen cranberries so that I can make this again.

    ReplyDelete